Thursday, July 21, 2011

Choking Hazard




So, my beautiful Gabriella is growing up way faster than expected, of course. She is army crawling and working her way to full crawling, so she ends up spending a fair amount of time on the floor. Now, Gideon never was an "eater of stuff" like some babies/kids are, so I hoped I had sidestepped that hazard. I, unfortunately, was very wrong. I believe my daughter's ambition is to become an industrial strength vacuum cleaner. SHE. EATS. EVERYTHING.
Case in point... while I was making dinner I left her on the floor to play while her wonderful daddy supervised her antics. All was well until I heard from the living room
"MELISSA COME HERE!!! GABBI IS CHOKING ON A PENNY!!!" ... needless to say I bolted to the living room to find my husband holding my daugher at a downward angle patting firm on her back... my heart STOPPED.

Fortunately, while she did swallow a penny, she didn't enhale a penny. So, she was breathing.
...sigh...
...relief...
Now, the remaining problem was that she was screaming bloody murder and if you know my daughter, you know that it takes quite a bit for her to do that. So, I called the hospital who told me to call my pediatrician, which I did. Then I was put on hold...
...and I waited..
...and waited...
all this time my daugher was screaming.
So I, under family advisement, headed for the emergency room with Gabriella and my husband.
The pediatrician called me back just before we got addmitted and gave me this advice that I will share with you, just in case my child isn't the only one to swallow something entirely inedible.
First thing to do (if they're breathing, of course) is to give them something to drink (in my case, nurse her) and...
If your child is
1. breathing (she was)
2.~*~Swallowing~*~ (nursing proved she was)
3. Pooping (to be sure there is no bowel obstruction)
Then your child is fine and you will find the missing object hangin' out in their diaper/toilet in a couple days.
Moral of the story... I might as well use my mild panic to illuminate mom's to avoid unnecessary E.R. trips and to be aware of when it is something to be concerned with.
I don't reccomend this method for saving money. ;)

1 comment:

  1. You didn't update this with the picture of the x-ray! I know this was forever ago...

    ReplyDelete