Thursday, May 24, 2012

What to know before having Kids!

I think it's terribly vital that I am not claiming any form of "expertise". I do feel, however, that every single  day of parenting is a new learning experience. 
Embrace it. 



Some of my daily lessons include the following: 

You cannot teach a child to do something that you yourself are not willing to do. You also cannot teach a child NOT to do something that they witness you doing. *It is physically impossible to submerge a sponge in fluid and expect it not to absorb said fluid. *

Love is stronger than all things, stenches, and fears. 
 Before having children I used to hear horror stories of poop, vomit, etc and think to myself could I HANDLE that. The answer: Yes!  You find an inner strength to handle such things... you'll never be happy about it, but you'll do it!! 
I also am TERRIFIED of spiders. Not only do I not want my children to share said fear, but I  also have to strong enough to smash that spider when the man of the house isn't around. So guess what... I summon the inner strength and I go crrrazy on that mutha!!!!! 
You don't come at my babies you 8 legged freak!!!! 


Parenting is NOT a talent, it's a skill.
 Everything in parenting takes practice and education. The only thing that comes naturally about parenting, is to love your children.
 If you feel like you're stumbling your way through it, it's because you are, and that's OK.
 You cannot fail, unless you quit. 


Don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion and ignore all unsolicited advice. 
Anchor a few select people, in your life, that you trust and respect to advise and help you through parenting; listen to everyone else and keep your "grains of salt" handy, because all unsolicited advice should be taken with such.  Everyone  has a opinion and most people are just trying to help, but if you take it all to heart it will make you want to take a toasted into the bath with you. 


Take life a moment  at a time.
 Parenting can be an exceedingly overwhelming job. The easiest way to combat the stress of this is to plan for the future, but then live in the moment. 
If you are always living in the future, you'll miss the moment. 


Don't fight the change. 
Being a mom changes you. If you have a friend that tells you "You used to be so much fun!"... smile to yourself and realize that they just don't  get it. 
You're mission in life should not be to entertain others. 


Choose what matters!
Pick the most important things and be strong, uncompromising, and thoroughly concreted in them. (i.e. health of mind body and soul) and "pick your battles" with everything else. 
If a person allows themselves to be stretched too thin, they will inevitably break, and loose track of not only the little stuff, but the important things as well.   



5 comments:

  1. Did my blogging inspire you to blog? I feel like i might be influential :)

    It's really good that parenting isn't a talent, because i suck at having talents. It is nice of you to not want to pass on your fear of spiders. I'm an awful person and I want to pass on my fear of snakes. Why do i want to do that? Because I'm sure that if any child that is around me isn't afraid of snakes they will either out of cruelty or curiousity bring one over to show me. And i will have no choice but to run away and lock myself in the bathroom sobbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you DID inspire me. I felt like a quitter for not blogging lol!!!!

    Yeah I am completely untalented!

    haha!!! That's funny, Rachel. I don't want my kids PLAYING with Spiders so I tell them that they are "dirty", so don't touch them... but they're not scary. I also tell Gideon that he should avoid them because he might "scare them". lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think its crazy how many snakes I see now. I grew up in the middle of freaking no where and can only remember seeing one or two snakes. Since last summer I think I have seen 5. Its traumatizing, so I count LOL. I don't know if there are just lots of snakes here or if I was really inattentive as a child...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it depends on the area you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we were living at the TOP of a hill.

    ReplyDelete