Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Champ

I chose to enroll my son in soccer this year through kids inc. I knew the value of sports and I thought my son could use a constructive outlet for his energy. I had no idea the value in its entirety. It was definitely one of the best decisions I've made for him. 

When he started the season he had never even seen soccer. I would have asked him his opinion on starting the season if I thought he'd have any idea what I was talking about. Not being sports people, Gideon's exposure is fairly limited. 

All it took to spark his initial interest was to see a ball and a bunch of other kids running around. Instantly soccer became an awesome idea. This was quickly squashed when he started doing drills to improve his ball control and found himself not automatically the best at the sport. He had to work at it and it made him second guess whether this was an enjoyable experience. 

After the first week of practices he would sit in the back seat of our van, his brow thoughtfully furrowed and would repeat "I'm not sure if I like soccer". I just smiled and said "Give it time. You can decide what you think at the end of the season."  
"Sigh... Well OK Mom" 

Everything changed when he had his first game. During his first soccer game he managed to score his first goal and I, from where I was cheering on the sidelines, could see a profound and joyous explosion of conquest fill his little face. At that moment, it was all over. He was hooked. 

In the following weeks I got the privilege of seeing lessons that would have taken me the better part of his life to teach him, effectively and unceremoniously crammed in with considerably less effort. 

When he first began practices all of the kids would playfully taunt each other and brag over their own successes. After a couple weeks they all noticed something. It felt pretty good to say "nah nah nah I'm better than you!!!" It didn't, however, feel so good to have it said to you. Soon the "nah nah nahs" turned to "good jobs" and "Try agains".  He gained a sense of sportsmanship and consideration.

Gideon's always been the kid that, upon getting a stubbed toe, could be heard for miles. I was a little worried about how he would take the bang ups and scrape ups that come with playing a sport, but I kid you not... I watched my little man (on more than one occasion) take a soccer ball to the face so hard that the coaches called a time-out and offer him a break and I watched him swallow down a few tears and say "No, I want to keep playing".  I also watched him hurt himself during a game and keep running down the field, going after the ball, whilst tears streamed down his cheeks. A sport gave a sense of purpose, confidence, and tenacity. 

There's nothing like working as a team and having to not only let someone else get the glory, but actually help set someone else up to score the goal. It teaches them to think in the terms of "the whole team" instead of just themselves. Seeing those kids get just as excited seeing any of their teammates score a goal as they get when they themselves score one was such a neat thing. 

As soccer comes to a close, his last game of the season being this Saturday, he can't wait for his next sport. I am enrolling him basketball for the winter and I might need to get a count down chart of sorts to avoid the "how long until basketball mom?!?!?"

If you can only do one after school activity with your kids, I first recommend something like Awanas because nothing is more important that your relationship with God. BUT sports come a close second for both BOYS AND GIRLS. You won't regret it. The experience is invaluable. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment