Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bask in the glow

Attention parents: I need you all to do me a favor.  Never  stop basking in the glow of your children by taking pride in their growth and accomplishments. Don't compete... Just bask and SHARE with others your joy. If we stop taking time to express pride in our children, they might just stop feeling pride in themselves.


I was basking in the glow of my son, last night. 


We were preparing for bedtime and as I was tucking in his sister, Gideon, had a tear filled melt down. He was pacing and crying, in utter panic. When pressed he told me that he was feeling very very afraid of the dark. His room was a scary place for him and he was begging for something, anything  to help.
"Mom, will you turn on a movie, or let me sleep in your bed, or stay with me until I fall asleep?!?!"

Before I could answer he ran into Gabby's room, where I was, and said "No Wait!! I will pray!!!" I, smiled and putting my hand on his shoulder opened my mouth to pray; he put up his hand to stop me and said "No, Mom, I want to do it!" I nodded and kept my hand on his shoulder while he took a deep breath and began
"Dear God, I'm scared of the dark. Please take away all my fear. Send your angels, Jesus, with big big swords to make me safe. You always make me safe, so help me not be scared and be safe."
We finished up the prayer and Gabby told her brother "Why are you scared, Gideon? God always keeps us safe."
Gideon sighed and said "I know", then quietly marched to bed, and peacefully fell asleep with the wisdom that he was being taken care of.

Faith like a child.
Faith like my child.
After making sure they were both well tucked in and skipping off to dream land, I sat down on the couch and felt tremendously unbelievably blessed.

I basked in the glow. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment