Friday, May 10, 2013

learning to read

I have been working with my son on learning to read and he is making wonderful progress. He can "sound out" simple sentences and spends a great deal of time sounding out random words we come across. 

Last night the TV was left on after watching a movie and in big bold letters across the screen it said "JVC". I was in the kitchen doing dishes and Gideon grabbed my hand saying  "Mommy, come here! I wan't to show you something!!!"
I followed him into the living room and he excitedly pointed at the tv saying "look! It says. 'Juh Vuh Cuh"! What does that mean?"

I, then, tried to explain that, in this case, the letter were just the letters and only said "JVC", but convinced that I had forgotten to how to read, he insisted, and still insists that the tv actually said 'Juh Vuh Cuh".

I decided to pick my battles, let him win, and be glad that he's so passionate about learning to read. 

2 comments:

  1. My sister (Megan) did that. We drove by the DMV and she asked my mom what "dumv" meant. It took my mom awhile to figure it out since she had already driven by.

    ReplyDelete