Thursday, September 5, 2013

First day of school

I have been riding a high all week in anticipation for Gideon's first day of school. I remember kindergarten so fondly, for myself, that I couldn't wait for him to have that experience. 


All week I have been chattering on at him about it. It's was fun seeing him light up like a firefly talking about it. At one point I sat down with him seriously and said
"Gideon, are you going to be good and listen to your teacher in school?"
He furrowed his brows, rolled his eyes and said "Mom... You know.", to which I replied "I do?"
He sighed, and said "Of course I'm going to be good for my teacher!" 
This earned him a hug, and a kiss while I quietly pondered  We'll see... 
Don't get me wrong... he's an amazing kid! He's just a rough and tumble little boy with lots of energy.
You know... normal.... 

The night before, I set out his clothes neatly and propped his backpack up against the end of his bed. I stood and stared for awhile trying to process the implications of his sudden leap from a sweet infant nursing himself to sleep in my arms to suddenly stepping out in independence and going to school.

In the morning I got us all ready and fed, ran an errand, and showed up in his school parking lot over 30 min early! I considered waiting in the parking lot but after images of my children bounding around in my mini van like a pin ball  machine fixated themselves on my brain, I decided that I would take a little drive and come back.

The second time around, we marched hand in hand into his school. He hung up his backpack under a little blue star with his name on it, and sat in his chair. I hugged him goodbye telling him to be good  and that he would be riding the bus home. He wrapped his arms around my neck, kissed my cheek and said "Mommy, I love you so much!"

As I walked away and checked with 3 different people that he would safely end up on the correct bus, I dragged  my feet into the parking lot; my heart pounding,  half dazed climbed into my van and listened to grandma tell how Gabby screamed "bloody-murder" the whole time I was in the school because she feels left out.

As I sit in my deathly quiet house I am both incredibly joyous for this new chapter in our lives and scared witless. I am no longer my sons "whole world". I am a large part of a much larger world that will often exclude me, and that's OK. It will just  take this momma some time to get used to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment