Saturday, December 22, 2012

Siblings

We all know the conversation... 

You're standing in a supermarket/restaurant/etc and a stranger, upon looking at your little ones says
"Wow. You must stay busy!" 
(my friends who have 4 or more children, please try not to laugh too hard) 

Upon a further conversation with a waitress, who made said comment, last night; the realization that she assumed that having siblings close in age must be absurdly difficult. 

I assumed this when I didn't have children, as well. 

Let me, first, in the spirit of full disclosure, state that my son isn't prone to jealousy. It doesn't seem to be a sin he battles with. It's somewhat surprising since he likes to control his environment so I expected him to find a demanding baby in our home to be a violation of his comfort zone. Instead, he rose to the challenge and treated Gabby like his little project. 
He still enjoys teaching and helping her. 

I, then, must clear something up (for those who may not already know). While, Siblings do fight, it's part of how they learn conflict resolution, they are a major support system for each other. They enjoy each other. 

My kids love to read books together, and play games. They sing and dance together and when they are forced into separation (ie awanas), they miss each other the entire time their apart.   

I actually believe it would be more difficult to have one child as apposed to two, because, as they get older, and want/need companions to play with, it's much easier to have a sibling or two to spend their days with. 

Moral of the story. Next time you see a mom sporting a couple kids that look very close in age, don't tell her that you assume her life must suck, because it doesn't. 

It's great! 

2 comments:

  1. I get this! I don't have kids yet (in case you forgot I guess, I don't know why I am telling you that LOL) but with the girls I baby-sit they are super close in age and its usually way easier when both of them are here than just one! They will go hang out and play in the playroom for quite awhile without me even asking them to. If it is just one of them they want me to entertain them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! Even if Gabby takes a nap without Gideon, Gideon gets so bored. I don't refuse to play with him or anything, but he'd much prefer to play with her.
    Even when I try to make special time for them (ie shopping trips with just one of them) they always ask where the other is and are disturbed that they are not with us. It's kind of funny.
    I think having an "only child" would be so difficult!

    My kids aren't even THAT close together!

    ReplyDelete