Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sibling Rivalry/Revelry



It’s always difficult to predict how your children will appreciate each other as they get older, and their little personalities evolve.

My son was 2 ½ when my daughter Gabriella was born. Let me tell ya, this boy was designed to be an older brother. He has always adored and been protective of his sister.







Now, she is nearly 18 months, and he is nearly 4.
She is no longer a helpless, compliant, infant. She is a feisty,  rough ’n tumble, toddler, who knows  what she wants!

He has always been “particular” about things being a certain way  and hardly tolerant to exceptions/compromises. Fortunately, John and I have never been super complaint to his borderline OCD tendencies, so he’s somewhat used to not “getting his way”.
This, of course, doesn’t stop the communication with his sister from being a bit of a rollercoaster.

I will peak in his room, and see them snuggled up on his bed watching a movie together, or Gideon will make silly faces/sounds to the sound of Gabby’s hysterical giggles.
They love to hug each other.
The love to be together.
They long to sing songs together.
Gideon loves to “read” her books.

Then there is the other  side of the coin.

…BUM BUM BUM….

The screaming… oh how I despise the screaming. I should have known, but I had no idea how much screaming a girl will do.
When she begins, it starts a chain reaction of screeching, tears, and general pandemonium.

Sometimes I am completely baffled by the hysteria.
Gideon in mess of sobs will come running to me “GABBY …sob… SAID…sob… ‘NO‘!!!”
To which, my brow furrows, and I say “So?”
“So, I don’t want  her to say ’no’!!”   ***SOB***
“Yes, that is likely why she did it.”
“Make her stop!”
“Make her stop saying ’No’? Really?
I have a better idea… how about you ignore  her. She is just trying to get you upset.”
“BUT….MOOOOOOM!!!!”
“OK. No more playing with Gabby, for now.”
“No, but I want to play with her!!!!”

This is the point where I softly bang my head against a wall and look for some ear plugs to drown out future complaints. (I am just kidding, please don’t call CSD)

So, next time you see me, if I have a big red circle on my forehead, you’ll know why.

I read an article about how to make your siblings appreciate each other more. Their advice was a “his toys”, “her toys” system. This system involves limiting toy sharing, without permission,  to avoid fighting.

Can I tell you, I completely disagree with this system for numerous reasons, some of them being:

~I want to teach my kids to not overvalue their possessions
~I want my children to help teach each other conflict resolution (yes, this means, sometimes they must fight)
 ~I want to teach my children to be willing to make compromises
~ I want to teach my children to make sacrifices
~ I want my kids to know that in life you can’t always get your way.

I might be crazy, but I even think, forcing the issue, but making kids share a room can be extra affective at teaching these lessons.

 Moral of story. My children love each other with all their little hearts, and hate to be apart, but if you hear a blood curdling scream from my home, don’t immediately dial 911, because chances are that the love has been overrun by their desire to make each other bonkers!

No comments:

Post a Comment