Thursday, September 6, 2012

THE DEMAND


Before you have kids everyone has horror stories to share, which by the way, I think is terrible. How exactly is that helpful???? Like a new mom doesn't have enough to worry about without hearing about the worst possible scenarios that she will face. Sheesh people!
Sheesh. 

Anyway... so everyone told me about never sleeping again, encountering the foulest of bodily fluids, contending with screaming teethers, never showering again, and never having a moment alone. All of this was greatly exaggerated and if it was nearly as bad as it was described no one  would ever have kids.

What wasn't accurately described to me is the most challenging and yet simple part of being a mom. The thing that all us moms experience but have a hard time putting into words.


THE DEMAND 


It seems like a no-brainer, before you have kids, but it's not quite the same as experiencing it. Every waking moment of every day there will be a pending demand. (It's why us moms learn to adore nap time) If it's not your kids, it's your adoring husband. And, trust me... the worse you feel the more they pile up. It's a running gag around moms that the moment you sit down your family will find it extremely objectionable and pile on the demands. (ie. "I want a drink" "I'm hungry" "Can you get this for me" "Where is this" "let's play games" "I want you to play blocks with me" etc)


"The demand" is the one thing that causes moms to resent their jobs and try to work outside the home, only to realize that it adds to the demand, not decreases it.

Am I complaining??????????

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

There are some mornings I have to start the day on my knees, asking God to give me the strength to get through the day with grace, discipline, and endurance, but with every demand there are thousands of reasons why I am more than willing to do it. The love I have for these people transcends all challenges, but that doesn't mean that they are not challenges.

So, as moms, let's take a moment to scream into a pillow and then thank God for people who love/need us so much. There will be a time that our children don't need us every waking moment and then we will look back and regret not appreciating being needed.


So....



Thank you, God, for my family. Thank you for their love for me. Please give me the wisdom to appreciate my time with them and give me the strength to take care of them with patience and grace.  Let me never forget that they ARE a gift. 





1 comment:

  1. Honey... can you go get me a drink of water pretty please? - I love you!

    ReplyDelete