Thursday, April 21, 2011

I like 'em chunky



Babies that is...
Gideon (my first) was 9 lbs 7 oz
and Gabriella was 9 lbs 14 oz
The truth about havin' big o' babies!!!!
So most moms dread the thought of having a huge baby. They ward it off like a curse of doom and dispair. I myself, was a tad worried about it, after my first. I even went off sugar for my last trimester (not that it worked, but ya know). Genetics being the tricky devil it is said "hah!" and gave me Gabi. Look at that chunk.... !! As cute/healthy/happy as a babe could be.
When she was born the midwife exclaimed
"She's not even a chubby baby... SHE'S FAT!" this ensued a glare and playful warning from mommy of
"She's adorable!!!"
which of course prompted a quick retraction and reassurance of her adorableness! ;)
So the big questions.... labor and delivery... With Gideon I had every mom's worst nightmare for delivery... BUT I was induced with pitocin, wasn't dialted at all when they started, and he was my first baby so my body had temper tantrum and didn't want to comply.
With Gabriella I had almost exactly a 12 hr labor that started with my water breaking just a few days after my due date. Now when I say "water breaking" that doesn't QUITE cover it... the gates of a dam burst open and I GUSHED (no trickles for me) for like 30 seconds... and in the world of explosive fluids pouring out of you... that's a lot.
When I got to the hospital, they felt no need to "test" me. One look said it all and I got admitted. Everything progressed steady and even... no problems or complications... entirely NATURAL experience (even the pushin'). It all went exactly according to plan and I had her pushed out in less than an hr.
On a side note. My husbands version of cleaning up my "water" was throwing a towel over it and rushing me to the hospital (an hour away). SOOO when my mom went to get things ready for us to come home (because she's AWESOME) I guess she got to sllllide across the our bedroom floor (ew, sorry mom).
Moral of the story LOVE THEM ROLLS! Don't be afraid of having a big baby or think you can't deliver them naturally if you do!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment