Thursday, July 19, 2012

Brain VS. Biology

Sometimes the right decision, for my family, is challenging. 

Before John and I were even married, we both agreed that we wanted 2 kids. So, after our second (Gabriella) was born we, after much prayer and deliberation decided to have John get a vasectomy.  I knew that I would get the "baby craves" eventually. 
It's biological. 
It's inevitable. 



In the end, however, I knew that 2 kids was right for us, and if God disagreed.... a silly little surgery wasn't going to prevent Him from giving us another child. 


I don't for a minute regret our decision. 

That being said.... 

I definitely have my moments of "insanity". I see a pregnant woman or a newborn baby and I think "I'm never going to get to do that again!!" and I start to panic. 
Eventually my logical brain kicks back in and I am content in our decision, but not being an overly logical person (much more emotional) and prone to distraction

...OOOO SHINY...

What was I saying? 

Oh right!

I tend to get wrapped up in emotion and hormones.  
...but... I also have to acknowledge the  "selfishness" of me occasionally wanting more babies. It would be putting my will over my husbands, which is not fair. 
respect...respect...respect... 

Moral of story: 
Sometimes vasectomy is the right choice! 
That doesn't mean it's always easy!    

3 comments:

  1. Michael and I have never agreed on how many kids, but given our fertility (or lack thereof) its not turning out to be an issue. I've went from wanting 4 to as many as God gives me (as long as its not 0, I'm not content with 0). Michael has stayed at wanting two. Our compromise was 3, but at this rate who knows. I'm an awful person and if I had two girls I would probably be willing to quit, but if I had two boys I would definitely want to try at least a few more times to get a girl. There is a small part of me that is lazy and only wants one, or at least wants them spaced far apart, but that's because of the daycare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photo of you full of life and glowing in the moment Melissa. Your two babies are going to be great people to have in the world when they grow up. You and John are doing a fantastic job of raising them, and appreciating the time you have them under your wings. Good job mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jalet!!! Encouragement is often needed in a such an important job. :)

    Rachel, I think it's normal for moms to want at least one girl, and dads to want at least one boy. When you have one of each it's really easy to just feel a sense of "contentment" :). I highly recommend that, if you have the option, you have children until you feel at least fairly content. If you "quit early" you'll resent it. I am content with our kids, and it's STILL hard, at times.

    ReplyDelete