Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Giving like a child

No one gives like Jesus, like a child. 

We heard of a family who lost everything in a fire. I proceeded to gather up all the "extras" lying around in garbage bags and decided that maybe I should explain the situation to my son. Use it as a teaching opportunity about giving/loss. 
This is how I chose to explain it


"Gideon, there is a family that has a little boy and a little girl. A fire came and ate their whole house! It ate their clothes, all their toys, and all of their other stuff. We have lots of stuff. Is there anything you want to give the family who lost all their stuff?" 

He eager responded "YES!" and ran to his bedroom. He looked around his room for awhile and eventually said 
"Let's give them all my toys!" 

"No, Sweety! That's very sweet, but you'll be really sad if all your toys are gone!" 

".... but... they will be really happy! Everybody needs toys!" 

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried a little! 

I lovingly explained that one toy would be sufficient and he spent about an hour decided which one as "cool enough" and in the end he picked several toys and a couple books! 


I am proud!!!


1 comment: