Monday, August 6, 2012

It's not a Political Statement... It's FOOD

I have been informed that this is "Breastfeeding Week". So, naturally, I figured I'd do a post on Breastfeeding. 
I breastfed both my kids. I nursed Gideon until he was 14 months, and Gabriella until she was 16 months. I nursed them until they didn't ask for it any more. I also hope to at some point become a lactation consultant. I am definitely an avid advocate for nursing. 


  <-Yes, I'm Breastfeeding in this picture! 


BUT.... 
I don't think Nursing should be or have to be a "political statement". There shouldn't have to be "nurse-ins" or "controversial" pictures of women nursing in military uniform. 

really?

Where has the common sense gone? Can't people figure out that if an infant is hungry, we must feed them? As long as a mother is using some discretion (not just sitting topless in the middle of the park/mall/restaurant) than it should be a non-issue. 

I know that most of the issue here is ignorance. People are not sure what the social protocol of being around a nursing woman, is. 





  • Should I avert my eyes?
  • If I look at the baby am I going to look like a pervert?
  • What if I look at the baby and they "come off" and I see her nipple?
..etc...

Let me answer these questions for people... just clear the air. 

If a woman is willing to nurse in front of you, she doesn't care if you look at the baby. It is far more awkward if you are obviously averting your eyes or acting uncomfortable than if you just look at the flippin' baby. If a woman is shy about nursing, she will either leave the room, or cover up. 

Guys... women can tell the difference between "Oh look it's a baby nursing" and "look at those boobs!!" ;) Just don't "stare" and you'll be fine. 

If you accidentally see a woman's nipple... it is an unfortunate thing. Speaking as a breastfeeder... we do try and avoid this. My person preference was that people not make a big deal of it though. 

I remember when I was in the hospital, with my first kiddo (Gideon) and was learning to nurse. It wasn't going well, because he was severely Jaundiced, large, and having trouble latching. Due to his jaundice he needed more fluid, but all he wanted to do was sleep. The lactation consultant was awesome.  She is/was my inspiration to be a lactation consultant (some day). She was completely relaxed and made the whole process relaxed and without shame. This was particularly amazing, because more often than not, I pretty much had to be topless while they did everything they could to increase my milk supply. Some (not many) of the nurses, however, were awkward. They were trying a little too hard to "respect my space" and didn't want to embarrass me. This, in turn, made me embarrassed to nurse in front of them. 
Moral of the story: It's only awkward if you make it that way. 

Every mammal on earth, nurses.... let's not make it weird... OK? 

1 comment: