Monday, August 13, 2012

Naturally Beautiful Home

I'm not going to lie. I have no qualms with using Bleach or Lysol. I like to go natural, but I love the smell of a disinfected house. I, however, don't hesitate to use what I already have lying around to make my house clean and my dollar stretch. 

Here are some things I make myself to save money. 


Laundry Detergent:

4 c water
1 c washing soda (not to be confused with baking soda)
1 c Borax
4 C Castile Soap
Orange Oil (Until it smells good)

I boil the water
Turn off heat
Add the soda and borax until dissolved
Turn off heat 
Add The Castile Soap and Orange Oil
When it cools I put it in recycled/washed plastic containers  (ie old vinegar bottles, milk jugs, etc) 

***I use Orange Oil because it smells good, is very gentle on the skin, and it's really really cheap***

Dishwasher Detergent:

1 C Borax
1 C Washing Soda
1/2 C Salt 
(I think you're supposed to also add citric acid, but I typically don't)

Wood Floor Cleaner

I occasionally will make my own orange juice and when I do this I save the peels in a jar with some vinegar. I let it sit for a couple weeks, remove the peels, add a tbsp or two of olive oil and VOILA! It's a fabulous wood floor/cabinet cleaner. It cleans, it polishes, it makes julienne fries!!!! ;) (not really on the last one) 
If you don't add the olive oil it is a good all purpose cleaner. 


 Orange Peel Vinegar

PS: If I don't want my house to smell like vinegar and don't feel like waiting 2 weeks for more floor cleaner, when I run out I will often clean with Tea Tree oil and vinegar or Tea Tree and Castile, depending on what I'm cleaning. 



OH ONE MORE THING... I almost forgot. If I'm out of everything... which often happens... One thing I nearly always have in my cabinet is baking soda   (it's like .50 a box) so I have been known to mix it with some hot water and go to town... better than leaving it dirty right? 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment