Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Neccesities














I think it is remarkable what we think we need for babies. Can you imagine a world in which it cost you no extra money to have a baby?
Back "in the day" you would have your baby at home (no hospital bills)
The baby would sleep in your bed or in a basket. So, no play pens, bassinets, cribs, etc.
(not my baby, but cute picture)
NO CLOTHES... Now admitidly... I love all those really cute tiny baby clothes. I have way more little dresses than one baby needs. ;) BUT back in the day (like biblical times) they would just swaddle the baby and leave it naked... which leads me to my next one.
No diapers... That's right. Naked little baby bottoms!
(this one IS mine)
No Carseats... because well... no cars
No strollers, because you would just strap the baby to your back.
No bottles or formula... it was nursing or nothing. (still this way in my house)
Can you imagine??? With the 1000s of dollars in stuff they say you need these days to have a tot! I think we get carried away...
Although here is my hypocrit mom where I share my favorite unnecessary baby stuff!!

4 comments:

  1. I love hypocritical posts. I post TONS of them myself. I love this post. I think its kind of funny how expensive people think babies are. I mean I have never had one, but I don't understand how a breastfed baby could possibly cost $10000 in the first year like baby books/websites say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAYBE if you had 6000 in medical bills like we did with Gabi, and then if it's your first and you buy EVERYTHING they tell you, that you need (and you don't get it hand-me-down or second hand)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading a list of things they said you needed for having a baby and they actually put "wipes warmer" on the list (along with a bunch of other silly things)... seriously... sure it probablly feels better to have warmth on your tushy, but if I don't need it, neither does she ;) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, with medical bills I can see it, but the calculators and such I have looked at don't factor that in! They do factor in a $350 crib though. A wipes warmer is just silly. Its not like you can use it on the go, so baby still has to get used to the cold ones! I have a feeling if it wasn't for Michael I would have the world's cheapest baby, but he is totally going to ruin that for me. Plus our bodies are kind of ruining that already what with having to pay to GET pregnant or adopt.

    ReplyDelete