Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Shameless



So, I may be old and "out of touch" with modern fashion and society. I don't shop at designer stores because I don't see the point in paying ridiculous amounts of money for pieces of fabric and I don't read "fashion" magazines because I think of them as shallow.
This being said, I got a free magazine (which will remain nameless) in the mail the other day and on a whim decided to explore its pages.
I have one word for you.... EW! (not the most articulate, but it sums it up)
This picture was taken directly from one of their pages!! How frightening is that?! Is that what we're supposed to aspire to? Starvation and Emaciation?! Not OK!
I also made a list of everything advertised (a lot) and here's what I came up with
False Eyelashes
Sunglasses
Shoes
Purses
Swimsuits
Bracelets
Cars
Skin Cream
Diamonds
Makeup
Skin Bronzer
Perfume
Alcohol
Hair Care
SOda
Razors
Hair Dye
Latisse (eye lash thickener stuff)
There was ONE article in this nearly phonebook sized catalog and a whole "chapter" on just modern fashion, ASIDE from the ads.
All these ads are designed to make you feel crappy about yourself! No wonder the modern's self image is in the toilet and we're picking eachother apart like angry vultures. I am not saying that this is the ONLY thing that's making us feel bad about ourselves, but it is definitely contributing to our TWISTED self image.
If you want an image to "aspire" to... pick something like this...
This is more like what God a healthy woman to look like. NOT a long haired skeleton, but a soft, beautiful delicate creature designed to please her husband and bear healthy children.
No that doesn't mean "barefoot and pregnant". It means a work of art, love, grace, and nurturing. We have gifts of nurturing that our counterparts (men) don't naturally possess... we should gladly embrace that! :) (men have gifts that we don't)
Remember... be beautiful like YOU... not "her" (whoever she is).

1 comment:

  1. I'm concerned with this woman's outfit. Does she realize how ugly it is? Is it a swimsuit? That is the best thing about fashion magazines, the fact that all of the "fashionable things" are things that 99% of the population wouldn't want to be caught dead in for one reason or another.

    Latisse scares me. Why would I want to put a chemical that close to my eyes so my eyelashes look longer? It can CHANGE your eye color. That is NOT healthy.

    I HATE when you get a magazine in it and it only has one lame article. Makes you glad it was free.

    As far as the naked lady picture, I will never have her body because my boobs would have to shrink by like half. Otherwise I have pretty much got it. But I would rather look like the top girl, but with my same bra size :) I would also LOVE to be barefoot and pregnant. I hate shoes (except on gravel or sharp weeds, and I would really like to to pregnant (in case your forgot lol)

    ReplyDelete